Description of Organization and Service Provided
The Housing Authority works to improve the quality of life for clients, acting as a community leader on affordable housing by providing information and education, housing assistance, and public and private partnership opportunities. The Housing Authority is a division of the City of Iowa City established in 1969 to administer housing assistance programs throughout its jurisdiction, including all of Johnson County and portions of Iowa and Washington Counties.
We currently assist more than 1,200 low-income families to acquire and maintain affordable housing through rental and ownership programs. Rental assistance includes the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing Programs. Homeownership opportunities exist under the Tenant-to-Owner Program, Affordable Dream Homeownership Program, and the Section 8 Homeownership Program. Participation in all programs requires the family be within federally established income guidelines.
The Housing Authority works with approximately 450 landlords. There are approximately 1213 vouchers with a total Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract in excess of $6 million to landlords within the Housing Authority jurisdiction.Eligibility
To be eligible for Housing Authority programs, a household must meet family composition and income requirements. Additional preference is given to families residing in our jurisdiction (Johnson County, Iowa County, and part of Washington County). In addition, the Housing Authority will conduct a criminal background check. Family Composition: (must meet one of the following)
- A single person 62 years or older
- A disabled person 18 years or older who is not declared as a dependent by a parent or guardian or who is a dependent living in a group home or similar supervised residence (at the time applicant applies)
- A household with a child or children who resides in the unit 51% of the time. (A child who is temporarily away from the home because of placement in foster care is considered a member of the family)
- Two or more elderly persons or disabled persons living together, or one or more elderly or disabled persons living with one or more live-in aides
- Two or more persons related by blood, marriage, domestic partnership, adoption or placement by a governmental or social service agency, as defined by City of Iowa City code
- A single adult that is not part of another household
To qualify for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, participants must earn no more than 50% of area median income. To view the actual income limits see the Area Median Income Guidelines for the Housing Authority jurisdiction.Cost of Service
Not Applicable.Methods of payments accepted
-Reduced Rate Accepted?
-Accepted Insurance Types
-Certifications / Credentials
-This page was last updated by the provider on 9/19/2012