What is a livable community?
Johnson County is a livable community that offers:
- health and supportive services
- transportation and mobility options
- affordable and appropriate housing
- community and economic development
- cultural, volunteer, life-long learning and employment opportunities and
- public safety
Together these attributes facilitate personal independence and the engagement of residents in civic and social life.
A livable community is where everyone can age successfully, which is defined as living as vital a life as possible with the opportunity to flourish in the community. Successful aging is characterized by:
- supportive relationships with family and friends
- optimal mental and physical health
- community involvement
- new learning experiences
- a sense of purpose and meaning of life